my zambian journey

insights into the world of a peace corps volunteer in africa. ***"THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS."***

My Photo
Name:
Location: raymond palko, p.o. box 160073 mwinilunga, northwest province, Zambia

i'm a fun loving guy who is trying to find my place in the universe. hopefully i can do this while using my knowledge and education to do a little good in this world.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

do it for 'merica!

hey all,

so we are gettin into the meat & potatoes of training rite now. we had our first language interview/assesment/test yesterday and i think i did ok. its become apparent that the more you say 'hello, thank you & goodbye' the more fluent you appear...kolenu mwani, nasakilili nan kashi, melea mwani! the tech training is really gettin fun as we get to ride our bikes through the bush to get there. earlier this week we went the wrong way and stumbled upon a sweet waterfall which we all hang out at in our free time now. yesterday we started to dig a pond and i got covered in mud from using it as a slip & slide plus a few sweet mud fights. its so sweet that even when we are in class its in the middle of some cool pictureque african setting. the only worry now is that i will miss my fellow trainees & my homestay family when i get posted. my homestay family is really awsome and insists on doing nearly everything for me. i finnally broke thru last week and did my own laundry. tommorrow we are going to have a bob marley party while we do laundry. my fellow tainees are my real family here. they are so great and the best way to put it is w/a line from 'swing life away' by rise against...

''and I've got some friends some that I hardly know but we've had some times I wouldn't trade for the world''

and tonite is the big 'disco nite' where we all go to the club with our trainers which should be a blast...don't wait up.

kolenu mwani!
(hello, literally 'be strong')

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ray...we were on vacation all week and Ger just told me about the Maleria now! Thank God you're okay!!! Ive been checking out your blogs and its just facinating. We came home to ants in our kitchen and im freaking out----so then i started reading your blogs and thought yeah, it could be worse ha ha ha. I don't have your email...can you give it to me? And i can send you tons of pictures of the baby when she gets here, im sure you cant wait for that ha ha ha. Take care of yourself, it sounds like your having a great time!

-Michele Pallante

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ray-Ray,
SO glad to hear that you're loving life in Zambia! Current state of life in North Jersey...it's been raining for 3 weeks straight and I hear that Noah's flood is coming soon...Connor & Jim drove an Ice Cream truck up the NJTurnpike on Friday just because they could...the Yankees & Mets are playing the 3rd game in their series and the Yanks are up 16-6 in the 6th inning...I should be packing for my 6-week stay at Columbia (Harlem could be a close 2nd to Zambia??) but instead I've amused myself with your blogs...Can't wait to use this with my students...Keep your sense of humor, stay strong, keep the pics coming & know that we all think of you! Happy July 4th! I'm starting a letter to you now...Later, Keely

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Palko-hontas! :)
I didn't even know you were out of the country! Keels told us the other day...I knew I hadn't seen you around the gym lately ;)
I'll definitely check up on you. hope you're doing well! Seems like you're having a great time!
LML (ha)
Karafyllakis

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home