my zambian journey

insights into the world of a peace corps volunteer in africa. ***"THE CONTENTS OF THIS WEBSITE ARE MINE PERSONALLY AND DO NOT REFLECT ANY POSITION OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR THE PEACE CORPS."***

My Photo
Name:
Location: raymond palko, p.o. box 160073 mwinilunga, northwest province, Zambia

i'm a fun loving guy who is trying to find my place in the universe. hopefully i can do this while using my knowledge and education to do a little good in this world.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

no ordinary man.

so i just had an awsome time at a speech/book signing with paul rusesabagina, the main charecter in the movie 'hotel rwanda'. if anyone hasnt seen the movie yet you really should. hearing paul speak about his expiriences in the rwandian genocide illustrated what a great portrayl the movie is. and a particular response during the q&a resonated deeply within me. the audience member asked how he was able to stay strong during the turmoil. paul said that he didnt feel as if he did anything extraordinary, rather he did his duty as a human being, to save lives when presented with the chance. this was special to me b/c i feel as if i am about to do my duty to help others when i join the peace corps. while i will not be saving lives as paul did, it is my hope that i will be able to make a few lives better. and afterwards when i had the honor to meet paul and shake his hand i asked for one piece of advice while i am in zambia. he said "be careful". i seem to be hearing that a lot these days and i promise i will.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christi said...

Ray - Got your comment about being in IN in May - email me as it gets closer - I'll be around since I only have 6 days of work left!

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home